Additional Licensing Scheme for Caledonian Road and Holloway Road in Islington

An Additional Licensing Scheme for privately rented shared houses and flats (HMOs) on Caledonian Road and Holloway Road was introduced from 1st September 2015.

This type of licence will be required for all properties which are:

Rented properties occupied by three or more persons in two or more households with some sharing of amenities; and buildings converted into self-contained flats where the conversion works do not comply with appropriate building standards (those applied in 1991 or later) and less than two-thirds of the flats are owner occupied.

The new Additional Licence will not apply to:

Purpose built student flats which are registered and managed so as to conform to national approved codes of practice.

Landlords who fail to license risk prosecution and fines up to £20,000 and being required to repay up to 12 months’ rent for letting a property which should have been licensed but wasn’t.”

The deadline for all applications to be submitted is 31st December 2015.

To apply for a licence you can use the online licence checker on Islington Councils website, if once you complete the checker, your property is required to be licensed you will have the option to apply directly online through their site.

To complete the application form you will have to include details of all persons that have a legal interest in the property (such as owners, mortgage companies and tenants) and those involved in its management.

You will need to supply additional information with the application form; which will include, Plans for your property, Gas Certificates, Electric Certificates, Tenancy agreements, Copy of fire risk assessments, and if you are accredited through the LLAS also your certificate.

If you are accredited through LLAS you will be entitled to a £100 discount for your application.

A five year licence will cost £260 per letting (bedsit, bedroom or studio) or £650 if the HMO is comprised entirely of self-contained flats.

Licences can be issued for a maximum of five years.  One year licences will be issued where specific concerns with the management of a property warrant closer attention through licensing.

If you have a property in Caledonian Road or Holloway Road and you are unsure about this new requirement. We may be able to help with the management of your property under the new legislation, and also the application for your property to be licensed. Please call 02077000021 or visit our office at 2 Drayton Park, N5 1NU to speak to a qualified member of staff.